View from the hill!

View from the hill!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Poor Man's Crab Cakes

Today, after watching the elephants demolish their lunches at the annual "Lunch with the Elephants," I decided to get some lunch for myself. This was the perfect opportunity to visit the famed Faidley's Seafood in Lexington Market. Although I haven't really been looking forward to trying a Coddie, it is on the Being Bawlmer list so I thought I might as well give it a try. I don't know about you, but a deep-fried fish treat served on a mustard smeared saltine cracker does not sound all that appetizing to me.

For $2.25 you get a decent sized coddie, which Faidley's prepares with fresh codfish flakes mixed with mashed potatoes and onions. The mixture is then deep fried and served golden brown with a pack of saltine crackers. I wasn't overly impressed, but I did manage to eat an entire coddie. I brought the second back to the office but none of my co-workers would take me up on the coddie offer. Although I don't quite see the allure of these coddies, I think the older generation might be able to better appreciate this Baltimore food tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment