View from the hill!

View from the hill!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lunch with the Elephants


When I told my co-workers I had a lunch date I bet they didn't expect my date to eat 1,100 oranges, 1,000 apples, 500 heads of lettuce, 700 bananas, 400 pears and 500 carrots. They also probably didn't suspect that I was going to lunch with 10 circus elephants!
Today was the annual "Lunch with the Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey's Elephants" at Lexington Market. Baltimore is the only city in the country to host this event on a yearly basis and people from all over Maryland have made Lunch with the Elephants a tradition.
I arrived at Lexington Market just in time to catch a glimpse of the pack of elephants marching up Eutaw Street to the Market's South Parking lot. It was quite an impressive sight to see these huge animals walking right down the middle of a busy city street. Once they arrived at their large fruit and veggie buffet, the elephants wasted no time in getting started on their lunch. It was hilarious, the elephants would pick up a dozen bananas and 5 apples and throw them all in their mouth at once. Once their tables were cleared the elephants marched in a single file line right back down to the 1st Mariner Arena (where you can catch more elephant acts at the circus which is in town until 4/18).

No comments:

Post a Comment